[docs] [issue8145] Documentation about sqlite3 isolation_level

Laszlo Nagy report at bugs.python.org
Sun Jul 11 07:29:54 CEST 2010

Laszlo Nagy <nagylzs at gmail.com> added the comment:

2010/7/11 Terry J. Reedy <report at bugs.python.org>

> Terry J. Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> added the comment:
>
> If the content of the patch is correct, it looks ready to apply, with only
> a touch of editing. Do we have a resident expert of sqlite3? Or Laszlo, do
> you have a reference for the statements made?

Sorry, the only reference I have is that mailing list thread (
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2010-March/1239374.html ).

There you can find an example with SQL statements, showing the problem.

Ryan Kelly wrote the following:

<quote>
I have a theory, based on a quick perusal of the sqlite3 bindings
source.

The bindings think that "SAVEPOINT sp1" is a "non-DML, non-query"
statement. So when isolation_level is something other than None, this
statement implicitly commits the current transaction and throws away
your savepoints!
</quote>

So the problem is with the sqlite binding code, not sqlite itself. I'm not
an expert in C, so I'm not sure I can help more.

Thanks,

   Laszlo

Added file: http://bugs.python.org/file17940/unnamed