[docs] Chnages to tutorial section

Georg Brandl georg at python.org
Sun Jul 11 11:28:01 CEST 2010

Am 08.07.2010 12:23, schrieb Jolly Richard (DERBYSHIRE COUNTY PCT):
> Hi
>
> Just starting to learn python and I was going through your (very well put
> together) tutorial - however it appears some editing may be in order as a
> number of earlier "programming examples" - e.g section 3.2. "First Steps
> Towards Programming" - once it introduces 'print' statement - the syntax is
> wrong for the newer version of python (as I found out from some Google
> searches) - in that print is now a function and the brackets are required.
>
> I know this may seem like nit-picking but sometimes when you are learning
> from scratch - little things like syntax errors - when you have typed exactly
> what is on the screen can be very frustrating.

Hi Richard,

thanks for your message -- it seems that you were looking at the tutorial
in the docs for Python 2.6 or 2.7, where the print statement is indeed
introduced as a statement.  In the tutorial for Python 3.1, which can be
found at http://docs.python.org/py3k/tutorial, the print function is
correctly introduced as a function and shown called with parentheses.

Regards,
Georg