[docs] suggestion in python tutorial, section 4.6

Arun kumar arunchithanar at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 21:54:17 CEST 2010

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am beginner, and I started learning python using the tutorial. As I
was reading till section 4.6, I was of the opinion that even integer
variables were objects. The following sentence appears in this
section:

"The actual parameters (arguments) to a function call are introduced
in the local symbol table of the called function when it is called;
thus, arguments are passed using call by value (where the value is
always an object reference, not the value of the object)."

When I tried to pass an integer to a function, which modifies the
integer passed, and then print the integer after the function is
called, I was surprised to find that the value was not modified. When
I tried it with a mutable object, it was. I feel an inclusion in this
section about types which are objects and which aren't would add more
clarity.

Thanks.

--
regards,