[docs] [issue8810] TZ offset description is unclear in docs

Alexander Belopolsky report at bugs.python.org
Fri Jun 4 05:31:23 CEST 2010

Alexander Belopolsky <belopolsky at users.sourceforge.net> added the comment:

> In this case, the docs.python.org link you point to seems
> to be correct, saying that it returns a timedelta.

This issue is specifically about ReST documentation, not the docstring. I explained in the opening comment that 'It is later explained that in fact "the value returned must be a timedelta object specifying a whole number of minutes", but many users won't read past the first sentence.'  Ironically, you not noticing that reaffirms my proposition that "many users won't read past the first sentence." :-)

Also, the documentation for tzinfo.dst is similarly unclear with ReST text slightly better than docstring.

Finally, please use rNNNNN form for revisions in commit comments.  These are converted to hyperlinks by the tracker.  For example, your commit comment would become:

  Committed to 2.7 in r81681 and 3.x in r81682.

status: closed -> open