[docs] [issue8913] Document that datetime.__format__ is datetime.strftime

Eric Smith report at bugs.python.org
Sun Jun 6 23:29:46 CEST 2010

Eric Smith <eric at trueblade.com> added the comment:

Unfortunately I think it's too late to do anything about this. I, for one, have many lines of code in production that use the strftime format specifier for datetime.__format__.

You only option would be to invent a new language that was somehow distinguishable from the strftime specifiers, but I doubt you'd get much support.

I think it's better to extend strftime, and let __format__ benefit from it.

versions: +Python 2.6, Python 2.7, Python 3.1