[docs] [issue8619] Doc bug for urllib.request._urlopener in Python 3.1+

R. David Murray report at bugs.python.org
Wed May 5 20:04:33 CEST 2010

R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> added the comment:

Mainly I'm saying that I don't think a public API should have a name starting with an '_'.  Sets a bad precedent :)

Looking at the functionality more closely, though, it does make me nervous that we are recommending changing the global state of the module.  Sounds like a recipe for hard to find bugs.  So maybe it should be removed from the docs, and a better way found to expose that functionality.