[docs] [issue8818] urlsplit and urlparse add extra slash when using scheme

AdamN report at bugs.python.org
Tue May 25 21:03:40 CEST 2010

AdamN <adam at varud.com> added the comment:

I would say right under:

urlparse.urlparse(urlstring[, default_scheme[, allow_fragments]])¶

Put:

urlstring is a pseudo-url.  If the string has a scheme, it will be interpreted as a scheme, followed by a path, querystring and fragment.  If it is prepended with a double-slash '//', it will be interpreted as a netloc followed by a path, querystring and fragment.  Otherwise, it will be interpreted as a path followed by a querystring and fragment.

I'm still confused about when anybody would use a relative path with a default scheme and no netloc but I'll leave that decision to you guys.

Thanks,
Adam