[docs] SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Ian Sweeney ian.sweeney at lljproperty.com
Thu Nov 4 19:06:04 CET 2010

I've just installed Python v3.1.2 onto Windows Vista.

I started IDLE and typed help() which suggested I look at

Section 2.1.2. Interactive Mode suggested the following code:

the_world_is_flat = 1if the_world_is_flat:
  print "Be careful not to fall off!"

The line
print "Be careful not to fall off!"
generates SyntaxError: invalid syntax

The Python v3.1.2 documentation on Windows which was installed as a Windows
help file gives a slightly different Section 2.1.2. Interactive Mode

the_world_is_flat = 1if the_world_is_flat:
  print ("Be careful not to fall off!")

This code works. The online documentation needs to change to show working
code (or if appropriate indicate that the code is version specific).

*Ian Sweeney*

Head of IT

LLJ Property LLC
PO Box 107729 Abu Dhabi UAE

Tel:  +44 7941 045102

Email: ian.sweeney at lljproperty.com*

DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this mail is for the intended
only, if you have received this mail by mistake, please forward it to
admin at lljproperty.com. Any opinions expressed, implied or presented are
solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of LLJ
Property LLC.