[docs] proposal to improve documentation for parameterized SQLite .execute method

Stephen Holland M.D. sholland at mac.com
Tue Oct 26 17:26:56 CEST 2010

Hello!  I appreciate all the work that has gone into the python system.  I was using the sqlite3 package and found a documentation issue that has to have caused problems for other users and I would like to help improve the documentation.

From web page
http://docs.python.org/library/sqlite3.html

in the initial section regarding the description of parameter substitution and in the section on execute examples are given for using this technique.

As a responsible sql writer, I knew that strings that contain spaces need to be quoted in as SQL insert statement.  The examples did not contain any space containing strings, so when I tried to use the technique I put quotes around the ? in the .execute method call, as I was using data that had spaces and other punctuation within it.  This causes an error.  The cursor method automatically quotes the strings, and actually errors out if the ? is quoted.

I propose that the examples contain some insertions that include spaces, and additional documentation to describe what other safety steps are done in parameter substitution to the arguments.

Steve Holland