[docs] [issue9730] base64 docs refers to strings instead of bytes

Terry J. Reedy report at bugs.python.org
Fri Sep 3 23:47:05 CEST 2010

Terry J. Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> added the comment:

As an experiment, I ran doctest on 17.2 json saved as .txt, See #9767
4 failures, 2 obvious doc faults, 2 unclear to me.
Their were 2 similar doc faults in non-interactive code examples, so doctest is not enough to catch all bad code.

We clearly need to do this for the entire doc, preferably before 3.2 is released. A master issue is the wrong format, at least by itself. What I think is needed is a repository doc like Misc/maintainers.rst, call it Misc/doctests or Misc/docdoctests. It should have a line for each doc section with current status (blank for unchecked, n/a for no interactive example, issue number for fixes in progress). A master issue could then be a place where non-committers can report changes that committers could apply. What do you others think?

nosy: +georg.brandl