[docs] [issue9583] Document startup option/environment interaction

R. David Murray report at bugs.python.org
Tue Sep 21 03:45:05 CEST 2010

R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> added the comment:

I understood the documentation snippet Terry quoted as saying exactly what you say the code does.  The doc could be clearer by replacing "multiple times" with "that number of times".  Not that more than two has any meaning currently...

Changing the behavior of PYTHONOPTIMIZE as you suggest would be a backward compatibility change that would probably require a deprecation cycle.  (And the message would have to not really be a DeprecationWarning, since DeprecationWarnings are now silent by default but this is a user-triggered event, not a developer-triggered event and so should be user visible.)

Unsetting an environment variable to remove its effect is a fairly common idiom.  So I don't think it is worth the effort of making the change you suggest, even though I agree it would be more intuitive if PYTHONOPTIMIZE=0 meant what you thought it meant.

nosy: +r.david.murray