[docs] Tutorial 6.1.2

David Blum david at martinoblum.com
Thu Apr 21 21:09:54 CEST 2011

This is not a report of a bug in Python, but a criticism of the
phrasing in the documentation.

In Python Tutorial 6.1.2 (docs.python.org/py3k/tutorial/
modules.html#the-module-search-path) the second paragraph beginning
with "Actually," is very alarming and disconcerting. It seems to mean
that the preceding paragraph is not "actually" true and should be
disregarded! I doubt that's what was intended, but I cannot quite
understand just what the intended meaning was. How do these two
paragraphs relate to one another? Are they both true? Is each one
only partially true? Is there supposed to be some way of combining or
synthesizing them into one coherent explanation? If so, it is not
adequately communicated by the word "actually".