[docs] [issue11945] Adopt and document consistent semantics for handling NaN values in containers

Alexander Belopolsky report at bugs.python.org
Thu Apr 28 09:16:34 CEST 2011

Alexander Belopolsky <belopolsky at users.sourceforge.net> added the comment:

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 3:01 AM, Nick Coghlan <report at bugs.python.org> wrote:
..
> The status quo works.

No it does not. I am yet to see a Python program that uses
non-reflexivity of NaN in a meaningful way.  What I've seen was either
programmers ignore it and write slightly buggy programs ("slightly"
because it is actually hard to produce a NaN in Python code) or they
add extra code to filter out NaN values before numbers are compared.

> Proposals to change it on theoretical grounds have a significantly higher bar to meet than proposals
> to simply document it clearly.

Documenting the status quo is necessary for any proposal to change.