[docs] Issue: no reference to bytes alias in documentation for 2.6.x and 2.7 (related to closed issue 1865)

Sandro Tosi sandro.tosi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 02:39:46 CEST 2011

Hello Sam,
thanks for your email.

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 11:57, Sam Thompson <python at samthompson.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Python so might have the wrong end of the stick, however I noted
> that although the py3k porting documentation (e.g. at
> http://docs.python.org/dev/py3k/howto/pyporting.html) says that both python
> 2.6 and 2.7 support use of b"xxx" style literals, there's no mention of it
> in any of the 2.6.x documentation for literals (e.g.
> http://docs.python.org/release/2.6.7/reference/lexical_analysis.html#id7).

Currently, 2.6 is in security-fix only, so its documentation cannot be
change anymore, that's why you don't see it fixed there.

> I found a closed bug in the issue tracker (http://bugs.python.org/issue1865)
> which appears to originally have covered this issue but the version was
> changed to 2.7 before it was resolved (although it's also not fixed in 2.7's
> version at
> http://docs.python.org/release/2.7/reference/lexical_analysis.html#id7, but
> is fixed in 2.7.1 and 2.7.2).
>
> It looks like the solution used for 2.7.1+ would be appropriate for the
> older versions, since there do not appear to be other substantial changes to
> this part of the documentation between these versions.

The way we release Python patch-version (x.x.N where only N is
increased) is meant to replace N-1 and all the previous versions. So
we don't backport documentation (nor code) fixed to 2.7.0 if the fix
is in 2.7.1 and so on.

The links you're using to access teh documentation (I don't know if
only for showing the problem or as a general use) points to a specific
release, that will no longer be updated. So if you want to refer to
the lastest 2.x documentation the correct link is:

http://docs.python.org/

and for Python 3.x it is:

http://docs.python.org/py3k/

Regards,