[docs] [issue12745] Python2 or Python3 page

João Bernardo report at bugs.python.org
Sat Aug 13 04:35:56 CEST 2011

New submission from João Bernardo <jbvsmo at gmail.com>:

Since 2008 (as far as can remember) the Python Download page has a link to that web page:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/Python2orPython3

I know it's been updated but it keeps saying the same thing since Python 3.0 was launched.

Basically it says that Python 3 is awesome but please don't use it because not everything became compatible. (That's how a newcomer reads it).

I've been using Python 3 as replacement of Python 2 since the launch of 3.1... And now I can't even write a Python 2 code without feeling a little sick.

I pretty much think it's time to tell people to skip learning all that junk the dev team had to remove and start with something much nicer.

Think about it. You'll not have to worry if list comprehensions/generator expressions are available, the conditional operator, the boolean type (and True and False as keywords), decorators, the ability of having `non local` variables, extended tuple unpacking etc etc etc.

If nobody uses the next generation of the language, the developers won't port their code. If they don't port the code, no one can use it...

tl;dr

So I vote for a new page saying something like "Python 3 is the way you should go and, if you can't run something, try asking the developer to port it or choose another tool"

BTW, Those PyPI modules that haven't made any effort to port should be marked as `deprecated`, but that doesn't have anything to do with the change of the aforementioned web page.

-------
Sorry if that doesn't belong to a bug report and erase it if you want.

components: Documentation
messages: 142004
nosy: JBernardo, docs at python
title: Python2 or Python3 page