[docs] [issue12775] immense performance problems related to the garbage collector

Antoine Pitrou report at bugs.python.org
Thu Aug 18 17:07:40 CEST 2011

Antoine Pitrou <pitrou at free.fr> added the comment:

> The bug note contains a test script. You just have to generate a huge
> JSON-blob, or allocate 1 GB or so and pickle it down to file and
> replace the cjson.decode to pickle.loads, pickle is about 20 times
> faster without GC.

You can't say that any "huge JSON blob" will exhibit the same
performance characteristics as yours. I just tested json.loads() with a
rather trivial 300MB JSON string, and it took a couple of seconds (on
2.7). Does it reproduce your workload? I don't know.

> disabling/enabling the GC is not safe in a multithreaded environment?

You are right that disabling/enabling the GC is a global setting. But
that still leaves the option of tuning the parameters.