[docs] [issue10840] pyarg_parsetuple docs and py_buffer

STINNER Victor report at bugs.python.org
Thu Jan 6 01:44:43 CET 2011

STINNER Victor <victor.stinner at haypocalc.com> added the comment:

Ah ok, now I remember the story. I cleaned up getargs.c recently. r83197 (#8991) removes the support of discontinious buffers. I guess that most developers don't know what a discontinious buffer is and so they don't support this kind of buffer. Moreover, most PyArg_Parse*() formats don't provide information about the buffer (how it is stored in memory), and so the caller cannot handle discontinious anyway.

I think that even Python code developers don't know what a discontinious buffer is... I think that today there is just no program or library using Python discontinious buffer. And maybe the authors of the PEP forgot it too :-)