[docs] [issue10891] Tweak sorting howto to eliminate redundancy

Éric Araujo report at bugs.python.org
Wed Jan 12 11:29:48 CET 2011

New submission from Éric Araujo <merwok at netwok.org>:

When reading over the sorting howto, I noticed redundancy of the form “the list.sort() method of a list”.  Raymond, if you approve the attached patch, please assign back to me.  There were no warnings during doc build and no link was broken.

Note that :meth:`list.sort` (or :meth:`~list.sort`) does not trigger a link to the doc of the method, since sort is not marked up with a method directive but listed in a table alongside other list and bytearray methods (http://docs.python.org/dev/library/stdtypes#typesseq-mutable).  This table is preceded by index-generating markup, but it does not create a target for :meth:`list.sort`; that’s a separate issue.  Until it’s solved, the sorting howto could turn the first occurrence of “list” into a link to the right section, using :ref:`typesseq-mutable <list>`, or continue to live without a link to list or list.sort.

----------
assignee: rhettinger
components: Documentation
files: minor-sorting-changes.diff
keywords: patch
messages: 126083
nosy: docs at python, eric.araujo, rhettinger
stage: commit review
status: open
title: Tweak sorting howto to eliminate redundancy
versions: Python 2.7, Python 3.1, Python 3.2
Added file: http://bugs.python.org/file20364/minor-sorting-changes.diff