[docs] [issue12434] Strengthen 2.7 io types warning

Eli Bendersky report at bugs.python.org
Tue Jul 12 06:55:15 CEST 2011

Eli Bendersky <eliben at gmail.com> added the comment:

In my opinion, it's the error messages and docstrings that should be changed, not the documentation. This module was introduced in 2.6 and moves on to 2.7, and there's no reason to have it throw confusing errors for the sake of easier back-patching from 3.x

However, when I run this example on 2.6, I get:

   TypeError: can't write str to text stream

Which (arguably) makes sense, since the docs explicitly say that "Text I/O classes work with unicode data."

nosy: +eli.bendersky