[docs] PDF docs in smaller page format for ebook readers (Kindle)

Sandro Tosi sandro.tosi at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 18:40:06 CEST 2011

Hello Kevin,

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 16:30, Kevin Broch <kevbroch at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to get the Python docs on to my Kindle for reading and reference
> but the A4 and US Letter size PDFs provided http://docs.python.org/download.html
> make the text impossible to read.
>
> A google search has turned up some complicated
> self attempts at doing this, but I thought I'd start at the source to
> see if you'd be
> receptive to providing some help.
>
> I know supporting every request for a different size PDF would be
> impossible but

Thanks for your inderstanding :) It's nice to see kindle supporting
pdf docs, but give it's unique size, it's kinda difficult to provide
another PDF file only for

> wondered if you could either:
>
> 1) Provide the recipe for how the PDFs are created so I could generate
> my desired
> format

In order to build the doc you have to get the python source code, than
adapt the configuration files under Doc and rebuilt it. There are some
references at [1] and you'll probably need some knowledge of Sphinx
(the tool we use to build documentation from ReST files). You might
want to look at PAPER variable in Doc/Makefile, it might do the trick.

[1] http://docs.python.org/dev/documenting/index.html

> 2) Provide at least a size that would be acceptable to most smaller
> form ebook readers.
> (I currently find that for my Kindle I create a page that is 3.6" x 4.8",
> with all margins 0 except for the bottom which is 0.4" (needed for the
> Kindles overlay of
> percentage and page)

Actually, the correct solution would be to provide the documentation
also in the MOBI format. We already provide it in EPUB format, but
it's incompatible with kindle (if not converted, f.e. using Calibre).
I've just filed and issue[2] to the sphinx bug tracker asking to add
MOBI support.

[2] https://bitbucket.org/birkenfeld/sphinx/issue/739/please-add-a-mobi-builder

Cheers,