[docs] [issue11385] TextTestRunner methods are not documented

Terry J. Reedy report at bugs.python.org
Sat Mar 5 00:17:02 CET 2011

Terry J. Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> added the comment:

Doc issues should be 'tested' and reported against the latest versions. 2.6.6 doc is effectively the last 2.6 version.

TextTextRunner is not completely undocumented.
In 3.2
>>> help(t.run)
Help on function run in module unittest.runner:

run(self, test)
    Run the given test case or test suite.

Searching on 'run(' finds near the top of the unittest chapter (2.7, 3.2):
"A test runner is an object that provides a single method, run(), which accepts a TestCase or TestSuite object as a parameter, and returns a result object."

I agree that the entry for TextTestRunner near the bottom should include one for .run, with at least the doc string, but maybe a backreference to the discussion near the top.

It is not clear to me how TextTestRunner is expected to be used. Does unittest.main instantiate one, and call run, behind the scenes?

nosy: +michael.foord, terry.reedy
versions: +Python 2.7, Python 3.1, Python 3.2, Python 3.3 -Python 2.6