[docs] shutil .move() on 2.6

Sandro Tosi sandro.tosi at gmail.com
Mon May 9 21:09:51 CEST 2011

Hello Alejandro,

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 13:49, Alejandro Fritz <fritz at quipugmbh.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am changing from py 2.5 and 2.6 on windows and noticed that  the
> shutil.move() function changed from overwriting (in 2.4 and 2.5)  to
> non-overwriting the destination file if it exists:
>
>    if os.path.isdir(dst):
>        real_dst = os.path.join(dst, _basename(src))
>        if os.path.exists(real_dst):
>            raise Error, "Destination path '%s' already exists" % real_dst
>
> This behavior is not documented.

2.6 is in security-only support state, that means it only receive
security patches and nothing else. So the problem you show cannot be
fixed in that version, anyhow all the other supported branches (2.7,
3.1, 3.2, and on-development 3.3) needs improvement: I opened
http://bugs.python.org/issue12043 to track progress on that.

Regards,