[docs] Incorrect footnote in "15.3. time — Time access and conversions"

Sandro Tosi sandro.tosi at gmail.com
Wed May 11 23:49:23 CEST 2011

Hi John,

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 13:02, John Haxby <jch at thehaxbys.co.uk> wrote:
> The footnote at the end of http://docs.python.org/library/time.html says
>>
>> [1]    [...] Also, a strict reading of the original 1982 RFC 822
>> standard calls for a two-digit year (%y rather than %Y), but practice
>> moved to 4-digit years long before the year 2000. The 4-digit year has
>> been mandated by RFC 2822, which obsoletes RFC 822.
>
> The change from 2 digit years to 4 digit years was actually mandated by
> RFC 1123 in 1989

I'm not sure which one is more relevant; from RFC 1123 I can read:

   This document is one of a pair that defines and discusses the
   requirements for host system implementations of the Internet protocol
   suite.  This RFC covers the applications layer and support protocols.

so it seems more about the IP implementation only, than anything else.
Also the example is clearly referring to RFC 2822 and the footnote
explains why the year value is made of 4 digits. So I don't think the
documentation needs to be fixed.

Regards,