[docs] [issue13433] String format documentation contains error regarding %g

Christian Iversen report at bugs.python.org
Mon Nov 21 11:03:05 CET 2011

Christian Iversen <ci at sikkerhed.org> added the comment:

Certainly, I don't think we should be peppering the docs with warnings and notes, either.

However, the elements in question _already have_ notes. I propose that the note for %g (4) simply be updated for clarity. Something like this, perhaps:

"""Unlike the other floating-point formats, the precision determines the number of significant digits before and after the decimal point and defaults to 6."""

Simply adding "Unlike the other floating-point formats," at the beginning of the second line makes it much clearer that this is a different beast.

If you feel that is not the right solution, then feel free to close this issue.