[docs] [issue13124] Add "Running a Build Slave" page to the devguide

Eric Snow report at bugs.python.org
Fri Oct 7 20:18:38 CEST 2011

New submission from Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com>:

Here's a patch to add a page to the devguide on running a build slave.  I copied pretty liberally from the wiki (http://wiki.python.org/moin/BuildBot).  That page may or may not be up to date (I don't know), so the bulk of this new page may also be out of date...

The current devguide buildbots page is oriented toward the use of buildbots in the dev process.  In contrast, this new page is all about running one.  I figured it is yet another easy way that people can contribute to Python.

I didn't stick in the windows-specific buildbot info (http://wiki.python.org/moin/BuildbotOnWindows), but did link to the wiki page.

I did include the info, as far as I understood it, from a recent python-dev thread (http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2011-October/113935.html).

I added a link to the devguide index page, but it may need to be shifted to the right spot (maybe right after "Running & Writing Tests").  I also renamed buildbots.rst to continuous_integration.rst (and updated reference accordingly).

I want to be sure attribution is appropriate, regarding the text pulled from the wiki page and from the python-dev thread.  Is linking to the thread sufficient?

This is a rough stab (especially with the inclusion of the still-ongoing python-dev thread); but hopefully this gets a ball rolling and doesn't take much work to polish.  :)

components: Devguide, Documentation
files: buildslaves.diff
keywords: patch
messages: 145120
nosy: brett.cannon, docs at python, eric.snow
title: Add "Running a Build Slave" page to the devguide
type: feature request
versions: Python 3.3
Added file: http://bugs.python.org/file23338/buildslaves.diff