[docs] [issue12602] Missing cross-references in Doc/using

Terry J. Reedy report at bugs.python.org
Wed Oct 12 22:18:21 CEST 2011

Terry J. Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> added the comment:

Since *script* is a file -- that is all variable -- that seems appropriate.

Bold italic tends to be more notably different from bold italic than the normal pair. In any case, italic is the doc standard for function parameter names. It seems more sensible than introducing a unique occurrence of angle brackets. An alternative is to simply delete the angle brackets.

If we consistently applied the "italicize non-literal symbolic parameter names" rule to command line examples, we would italicize 'command', 'module-name', 'script', and 'args' in

python [-BdEiOQsStuUvVWxX3?] [-c command | -m module-name | script | - ] [args]

just like in function signatures. I actually would like that as it would similarly diffentiate them from the literal constants meant to be entered as written. Has that ever been discussed by the doc group?