[docs] [issue12901] Nest class/methods directives in documentation

Éric Araujo report at bugs.python.org
Mon Sep 5 18:45:19 CEST 2011

New submission from Éric Araujo <merwok at netwok.org>:

I picked up a few files in Doc/library and updated their markup to use directives nesting.  The attached patch is the result; it’s a lot of changes for small benefit.  If we think it’s a good change anyway, I have two questions

- Do you think it would be a good idea to have the -checkins emails ignore whitespace changes in some cases?  (I’m thinking a magic string in the commit message)

- A number of files have a class directive near the top of the file, in the list of all public names, and a later section “XX objects” with the methods and attributes.  When this is changed to nested class/methods directives, sometimes the first class directive gets a noindex flag, but I think it should jsut be removed: the index in the sidebar is enough to let people jump to the doc.  Do you agree?

components: Documentation
messages: 143552
nosy: benjamin.peterson, docs at python, eric.araujo, georg.brandl
title: Nest class/methods directives in documentation
versions: Python 2.7, Python 3.2, Python 3.3