[docs] [issue14502] Document better what happens on releasing an unacquired lock

Georg Brandl report at bugs.python.org
Thu Apr 5 09:06:56 CEST 2012

New submission from Georg Brandl <georg at python.org>:

>From docs at python.org:

"""
I recently ran into a situation where I could not be certain that a lock
was currently in the acquired state. I checked the documentation to
determine what would happen if I attempted to release a lock that was
already released, and saw an ominous warning of "Do not call this method
when the lock is unlocked."

Needing to know what would happen, I cautiously tested it out. I half
expected my computer to explode as I released a lock for the second
time, but was pleased to see it raise a 'thread.error' exception which
could be caught and handled.

I generally expect the documentation to tell me what will happen if I do
something invalid. In this case the documentation should indicate that a
thread.error will be raised if you release an unlocked lock.
"""

I agree: if we know that a ThreadError will always be raised in this instance, we should document it as such.

components: Documentation
messages: 157544
nosy: docs at python, georg.brandl, pitrou
title: Document better what happens on releasing an unacquired lock
versions: Python 2.7, Python 3.2, Python 3.3