[docs] [issue14512] Pydocs module docs server not working on Windows.

Terry J. Reedy report at bugs.python.org
Tue Apr 10 08:47:03 CEST 2012

Terry J. Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> added the comment:

C:\Programs\Python32\Tools\Scripts>..\..\pythonw pydocgui.pyw -b
has the same behavior I described. So does -g.

The shortcut has been part of the Windows installation for many versions. It obviously uses pydocgui.py.

C:\Programs\Python32\Lib>pydoc.py -b
# starts one python.exe process
# prints on the next lines in the command window
Server ready at http://localhost:50695/
Server commands: [b]rowser, [q]uit
server>
# and opens blank localhost:50695 browser window
after asking for permission for python to access local network (which I gave). 'b' at prompt opens another blank window.

C:\Programs\Python32\Lib>pydoc.py -w difflib
#prints
wrote difflib.html
#which it did, looking as expected when opened in browser, with lots of cross-links.

So what it seems is not working in either case is opening the html page in the browser or connecting it to the server.

C:\Programs\Python32\Lib>webbrowser.py python.org
opens the page in *Internet Explorer* rather than Firefox (my default browser). pydoc tried to connect to the server in a new FF tab.

When I re-ran pydoc and tried to open localhost:50695 in IE, it gave me the result of a Bing search (one help forum post), so neither browser can find anything at that url.