[docs] [issue15660] In str.format there is a misleading error message about alignment

Terry J. Reedy report at bugs.python.org
Fri Aug 17 21:13:31 CEST 2012

Terry J. Reedy added the comment:

As I read the docs, the error message is correct and this issue is invalid as a behavior issue. I read the OP's second message as more or less saying this also.

"'=' 	Forces the padding to be placed after the sign (if any) but before the digits. This is used for printing fields in the form ‘+000000120’. This alignment option is only valid for numeric types."

"If the width field is preceded by a zero ('0') character, this enables zero-padding. This is equivalent to an alignment type of '=' and a fill character of '0'."

So ":02" is equivalent to ":0=2", which is invalid.

>>> '{:02d}'.format(1)
'01'
works fine.

I decided make this a doc issue and add " for numeric types" after "this enables zero-padding" before closing this.

assignee:  -> docs at python
components: +Documentation -Interpreter Core
nosy: +docs at python, terry.reedy
versions: +Python 2.7, Python 3.3