[docs] Looking to contribute

Sebastiaan de Haan sebastiaan at sebastiaandehaan.nl
Sat Aug 18 16:58:23 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Sandro Tosi <sandro.tosi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Sebastiaan,
>
> On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Sebastiaan de Haan
> <sebastiaan at sebastiaandehaan.nl> wrote:
> > Yes I have read the information at the link you provided. And have
> already
> > checked out the source code on my development machine.
>
> awesome!
>
> > One question though.
> > If I am done with creating the patch, would it be ok if I post it here
> for
> > review? Because it's my first time and all.
>
> I think it's probably best if you post the patch on the issue
> directly: the people interested in seeing it fixed are looking at the
> issue for news, so that would be the place i'd post the patch to.
> Don't be scared: everyone had their first time submitting a patch to a
> bug :)

I am a bit lost. For this particular issue (http://bugs.python.org/issue1722)
I have found one of the functions in question in /Lib/urllib/parse.py and
the associated documentation file in /Doc/library/urllib.parse.rst

But now for the tricky part, how to proceed? The source file function that
is missing from the documentation contains a docstring, so... How is the
rst file generated and do I just edit the rst file? Or do I go about
editing the source file directly?

I have tried researching

   - http://docs.python.org/devguide/documenting.html#documenting
   - http://docs.python.org/devguide/docquality.html
   - http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html
   - http://sphinx.pocoo.org

But this has gotten me no further. Is it possible for someone to point me
in the right direction...

I am sorry if this is a stupid question.

> Regards,
> --
> Sandro Tosi (aka morph, morpheus, matrixhasu)
> My website: http://matrixhasu.altervista.org/
> Me at Debian: http://wiki.debian.org/SandroTosi

Thanks, Sebastiaan.