[docs] [issue15962] Windows STDIN/STDOUT Redirection is actually FIXED

Nacsa Kristóf report at bugs.python.org
Sun Dec 16 01:38:48 CET 2012

Nacsa Kristóf added the comment:

@dhgmgn I think the change is ok. That said, I add two things.

It maybe should be noted which Windows version has this corrected.
The article contains this string: "This problem was first corrected in Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4. This problem was first corrected in Windows XP Service Pack 1".

The other thing is that I prefer if the relevant information is copied due to various reasons. One reason is that it serves as a "highlight" (nice time-saver and is also against TL;DR situations). Another is that Microsoft may simply cease support, or discontinue this link (they tend to do this).

I'm not familiar with how the python docs is constructed, if there is a style guide, etc., but I can tell that I'd be happy if I could see this information there directly. This is also how I've found out about that cmd header line/'trick'.

@<everyone>
Another thing, can anyone else confirm that this works for [s]he?
I've tested this on an 32-bit xp pro sp3.

When _not_ using the fix, something like `foo | myscript.py | bar` results in:
    IOError: [Errno 9] Bad file descriptor
With _using_ the registry fix from Microsoft, the command from above just works for me on the XP. (The cmd.exe/console needs to be restarted.)