[docs] bug in range function in python 3.2-3.3

Rahul rahulkay at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 23 11:59:43 CET 2012

Hi,

     I am Rahul. This is my first letter to you. I have been tinkering
with 'Python' from days of ver2.2. Though I am not any professional
programmer yet I like this Language & like to play with it. Recently I
downloaded the latest ver3.2 on my machine which runs on "Linux" while I
was writing a program. I noticed that one of my function was misbehaving
as I ran the program again & again, discovered that the built in
function "range()" was not doing what it was supposed to do. Forcing me
to revert back to "Python ver2.7x".
     I tried both of your versions 3.3 on 'windows' & 3.2 on 'Mint
Linux'. I noticed the same bug. I don't know any intricacies of python
but things worked just right after falling back to older version. As
this is a basic function I thought worth of reporting it.
     What it normally does is generate a 'list' within the bound range
of mentioned arguments. While older versions(2.7x) had no problem &
worked fine but newer versions(3.2-3.3) did not.
     This is normal output of the function,

         >>> range(5)
         >>> [0, 1, 2, 3, 4]

     but later version does it like this,

         >>> range(5)
         >>> [1,5]
     What is that?
     Even better,

         >>> range(1,5,1)
         >>> range(1,5)                    # that is the actual output
of interpreter.

     I tried this on two different machines & in different OSes
(Windows/ windows7/ mint Linux). Showing same results. I also tried in
'IDLE' & 'command line' but to no avail.

     May be I don't know if there are any additional libraries have been
added & I need to import them.
     I would be very obliged if you people can point out the mistake &
guide me, or if it is really a bug I would like it to be gone. This a
really an easy to learn, yet powerful OOP based language. I like to see
it grow & remain that way.

Thankfully,

Rahul
rahulkay at hotmail.com