[docs] [issue16805] when building docs on Debian 7 --> ERROR: Error in "note" directive

Sandro Tosi report at bugs.python.org
Sat Dec 29 13:57:52 CET 2012

Sandro Tosi added the comment:

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 4:33 AM, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
<report at bugs.python.org> wrote:
> It is my preference to be able to build all of CPython with the
> already-installed distro packages, instead of pulling in foreign ones.

IMO, I think with a project as bit as CPython, you should leave you
personal preferences apart and use (as much as possible) the tools the
project has decided to use: having a consistent set of tools to build
doc across everyone/everything (like auto-build doc machines) trying
to generate the doc is the proper way to handle it.

> Any reason why not use later versions?

no-one has done the work of testing, preparation and migration: do you
volunteer? :)

> Can't the docs be written such
> that they can run on various versions of these tools anyway?

Not always, but of course, as Georg said, if for note directive we can
have a syntax working with current and higher versions of
sphinx/docutils, that's ok to do it.

I only think that using a non-standard set of doc-build-tools is to be
discouraged, and sticking to what Makefile will fetch is the proper
way to build the doc and contribute to it.

Regards,