[docs] [issue13850] Summary tables for argparse add_argument options

Xavier Morel report at bugs.python.org
Tue Jan 24 21:20:57 CET 2012

Xavier Morel <xavier.morel at masklinn.net> added the comment:

> The "Parameters" column would span multiple lines, with one parameter and a brief description of the parameter on each line.

I started looking into that, and it turns out that's more annoying than expected: a bunch of parameters are shared by many (to all) actions, leading to lots of duplications in the table. And the full matrix of actions to parameters is not really explained in the doc.

In fact, I'm coming around to thinking a matrix of the interaction between actions and arguments could be better and clearer than a table of actions with parameters bunched together at the end.

In any case, it would certainly be more maintainable... except for rST not really having support for attributes on data tables, and (as far as I can tell) can't handle horizontal headers.