[docs] [issue15355] generator.__next__() docs should mention exception if already executing

Chris Jerdonek report at bugs.python.org
Sun Jul 15 02:31:01 CEST 2012

New submission from Chris Jerdonek <chris.jerdonek at gmail.com>:

I think the generator.__next__() documentation should say that it raises an exception if the generator is already executing:

http://docs.python.org/dev/reference/expressions.html#generator.__next__

I don't think this is currently mentioned anywhere in the section on yield expressions.

I think this is worth mentioning because this is different from the general situation for iterators, for example.  One consequence of this is that, unlike for iterators, using a bare generator in a multithreaded situation will always result in a critical section (since an iterator can be made to take care of its own locking, etc).

components: Documentation
keywords: easy
messages: 165476
nosy: cjerdonek, docs at python
title: generator.__next__() docs should mention exception if already executing
versions: Python 3.3