[docs] [issue14006] Improve the documentation of xml.etree.ElementTree

Eli Bendersky report at bugs.python.org
Tue Mar 27 06:06:24 CEST 2012

Eli Bendersky <eliben at gmail.com> added the comment:

There are two parallel discussions going on here:

1. The external ReST documentation
2. The internal docstring documentation

I opened the issue with (1) in focus, since it's more important IMHO. Not only for the usual reasons (most users don't go into the source to find docstrings), but also because ElementTree.py is just a "reference implementation" in 3.3, since the _elementtree extension is imported by default and is expected to be used on the vast majority of platforms.

Therefore, it's important to have external documentation serving essentially as an API spec implemented once in Python and once in C.

Not that I would object to docstring patches. But it doesn't appear Leon's work is progressing. In any case, I'll be focusing on the ReST docs.