[docs] Bug: I can't find documentation for the "apply" function, and then I can't find documentation for "extended call syntax"

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pydocs at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 18:36:14 CET 2012

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Kevin Leeds <knleeds at gmail.com> wrote:
> P.S. I still can't find it when I read the Python Tutorial.
> There's a section on Defining Functions, then there's More About
> Defining Functions.
> However there's no section about calling functions.
>

> On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Kevin Leeds <knleeds at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sorry! I am trying to figure out from the documentation a good way to
>> use "call" instead of "apply", and am finding myself frustrated by the
>> documentation site
>>
>> Apparently there's no way to search among functions names only, and
>> perhaps not for phrases either.
>>
>> On one page I found out the "apply" function is deprecated, and that I
>> should use the "extended call syntax".
>> At one point I'm informed that the description of "extended call
>> syntax" is described "above".
>>
>> There should be a hyperlink to the actual description.  It's not
>> possible to find the material being referenced without guessing
>> sections or reading the entire document perhaps.
>>
>> :) Thank you for your prompt attention to this important matter :)

Hi Kevin,

I think the section you're looking for is
http://docs.python.org/2.7/tutorial/controlflow.html#arbitrary-argument-lists
(or the Python 3 version thereof).

Could you give some more information about what version of Python
you're using, which pages you're looking at (and which versions),
etc.?  The more we know about your situation, the better able we are
to make the docs clearer for the next reader :).

In the meantime, I've filed an issue on the Python Bug Tracker to
track this issue: http://bugs.python.org/issue16503

Thanks for the report!