[docs] add a "class str" entry to the docs (issue 16209)

chris.jerdonek at gmail.com chris.jerdonek at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 06:13:22 CET 2012

http://bugs.python.org/review/16209/diff/6699/Doc/library/functions.rst
File Doc/library/functions.rst (right):

http://bugs.python.org/review/16209/diff/6699/Doc/library/functions.rst#newcode1244
Doc/library/functions.rst:1244: Return a :class:`str` version of
*object*.  See :func:`str` for details.
On 2012/11/28 06:04:09, ezio.melotti wrote:
> Wouldn't :func:`str` link to this entry?  Or would it just link to
:class:`str`
> but add the () at the end?

They link to the same thing: the full definition on the other page.  I
checked.  Only the link at the top of the Built-in Functions page links
to the stub entry.

(I know there are old comments on a related issue suggesting that they
can link to separate things, but as far as I could tell through
experimentation it is a Sphinx constraint that they link to the same
thing.)

And yes, "func" adds the parentheses and "class" leaves them off.  I
choose which to use based on whether I want to emphasize/refer to the
type or the constructor/function aspect.

http://bugs.python.org/review/16209/