[docs] simplify int() signature docs (issue 16036)

pybugs at rebertia.com pybugs at rebertia.com
Mon Oct 1 01:45:03 CEST 2012

http://bugs.python.org/review/16036/diff/6079/Doc/library/functions.rst
File Doc/library/functions.rst (right):

http://bugs.python.org/review/16036/diff/6079/Doc/library/functions.rst#newcode636
Doc/library/functions.rst:636: arguments are given.  If *x* is a number,
return :meth:`x.__int__()
How is "number-ness" determined? Are we just assuming anything with an
__int__() method is a number for purposes of explanation?

http://bugs.python.org/review/16036/diff/6079/Doc/library/functions.rst#newcode648
Doc/library/functions.rst:648: means to interpret exactly as a code
literal, so that the actual base is 2,
grammar: "to interpret *x*" or "to interpret the value" or similar. Just
"to interpret", without a direct object, sounds a bit odd.

"code literal" is unclear. Perhaps replace with "Python integer literal"
or "using integer literal syntax"?

http://bugs.python.org/review/16036/diff/6079/Doc/library/functions.rst#newcode650
Doc/library/functions.rst:650: ``int('010')`` is, as well as
``int('010', 8)``.
Shouldn't we mention somewhere that this raises ValueError and
TypeError?

http://bugs.python.org/review/16036/