[docs] Enhancement to http://docs.python.org/py3k/library/readline.html?highlight=readline#readline

Jonathan Hayward jonathan.hayward at pobox.com
Tue Oct 2 00:26:45 CEST 2012

http://docs.python.org/py3k/library/readline.html?highlight=readline#readlinetells
a number of things about readline.

However, it does not tell how to use the readline library as a bigger and
better souped-up sys.stdin.readline(). I gave up and asked on
StackOverflow, where someone told me that input() will take advantage of
any readline import, which helped me but wasn't the answer because I wasn't
trying to emulate the Python interpreter and treat lines as automatically
Python commands. That documentation referred to me what I needed to know,
namely that if I wanted to improve on sys.stdin.readline(), I should import
readline and call raw_input().

There are a couple of examples provided on the page, but none of them hints
at how to use readline to get a bigger and better sys.stdin.readline().

--
[image: Christos Jonathan Hayward] <http://jonathanscorner.com/>
Christos Jonathan Hayward, an Orthodox Christian author.

*Amazon <http://amazon.com/author/cjshayward>* • Author
Bio<http://jonathanscorner.com/author/>
 • *Email <christos.jonathan.hayward at gmail.com>* •
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/christos.jonathan.hayward>
 • Google Plus <http://jonathanscorner.com/plus> •
*Kindle<http://stornge.com/amazon>
* • LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathanhayward> •
*Professional<http://jonathanhayward.com/>
* • Twitter <http://twitter.com/JonathansCorner> •
*Web<http://jonathanscorner.com/>
* • What's New? <http://jonathanscorner.com/>
I invite you to visit my "theology, literature, and other creative works"
site. *See one page of my website! <http://random.jonathanscorner.com/>*