[docs] Query re array 'u' type code

Mark Summerfield list at qtrac.plus.com
Mon Oct 8 16:41:44 CEST 2012

Hi Andrew,

On Mon, 8 Oct 2012 16:26:20 +0300
Andrew Svetlov <andrew.svetlov at gmail.com> wrote:
> You shouldn't store characters in array because char is not 'physical
> matter' but some abstract one without specified byte representation.
> You should to store string encoded by some codec instead — it makes
> things easier and well-defined.

Yes, you're right. So, in the case of chars I guess one would store,
say, s.encode("utf-32") into a 4 byte unsigned type.

Of course, it is a pity that the array module doesn't actually support
specifically sized types (like NumPy does).

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
    C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy