[docs] [issue16236] Doc/Makefile should have $PYTHON=python2

Michele Orrù report at bugs.python.org
Sat Oct 20 11:22:39 CEST 2012

Michele Orrù added the comment:

> The patch should not unconditionally use `python2` since many distributions do not yet install a `python2` link
> to the interpreter nor is there one when running python2.7 from a build directory.  The Makefile could
> conditionally try `python2` and then fall back to `python`.
Sorry, I did not know that some OSes could not have the `python2` symlink, I just watched if there was on the Makefile.

> Yes, please don’t break many OSes for the sake of one.

Concerning this, we should do a proper configure script. Do you think that's worth it, E`ric?
```
Real configure scripts are generally much more complicated than this, since they may deal with systems where $PATH is not delimited by colons; or systems where executable programs may have optional extensions like .EXE; or $PATH variables that have the current working directory included in them as an empty string; etc.
````
-- http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ/081