[docs] [issue8040] documentation pages should link to other versions of the same page

Georg Brandl report at bugs.python.org
Fri Oct 26 23:22:42 CEST 2012

Georg Brandl added the comment:

A few comments:

* If the issue with patch is closed as duplicate, the patch should be attached to the superseder.

* The patch looks awfully long for such a simple option list. (e.g., get_version() is just lambda x: x[:3], no need for a function to do that.)

* Keep in mind that you can't easily support 2.5 and down anyway, since their URLs are completely different.  I call YAGNI on including anything older than 2.6.

* Please make it configurable, as indicated. You can add an option recognized by Sphinx in Doc/tools/sphinxext/pyspecific.py, with app.add_config_value.  I will then set it properly in the script that rebuilds the docs on docs.python.org.

That said, the result looks nice.  If we can work out the specifics, +1 for something like it.