[docs] TZ offset description is unclear in docs (issue 8810)

alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 19:52:19 CEST 2012

Reviewers: Nick Coghlan,

http://bugs.python.org/review/8810/diff/5785/Doc/library/datetime.rst
File Doc/library/datetime.rst (right):

http://bugs.python.org/review/8810/diff/5785/Doc/library/datetime.rst#newcode1011
Doc/library/datetime.rst:1011: west from UTC.
The sentence above still uses slightly incorrect terminology.  UTC is
timescale and not a geographical location.  There is no such point or a
line on our planet called UTC, so it is not correct to speak about
things east or west of UTC.   If you read UTC here as the Greenwich
meridian, then the sentence is incorrect because there are places west
of Greenwich that use negative offsets.

http://bugs.python.org/review/8810/diff/5785/Doc/library/datetime.rst#newcode1027
Doc/library/datetime.rst:1027: west from UTC.
See above.

http://bugs.python.org/review/8810/diff/5785/Doc/library/datetime.rst#newcode1049
Doc/library/datetime.rst:1049: Note that the name is 100% informational
– there's no requirement that it
100% is redundant here.  I would just say "is informational."

http://bugs.python.org/review/8810/diff/5785/Doc/library/datetime.rst#newcode1050
Doc/library/datetime.rst:1050: mean anything in particular. For example,
Grammar?  "it mean" -> "it means" or "for it to mean"

http://bugs.python.org/review/8810/diff/5785/Doc/library/datetime.rst#newcode1931
Doc/library/datetime.rst:1931:
Spurious empty line?

Please review this at http://bugs.python.org/review/8810/