[docs] [issue15629] Add to regrtest the ability to run Lib and Doc doctests

Chris Jerdonek report at bugs.python.org
Thu Sep 13 18:58:28 CEST 2012

Chris Jerdonek added the comment:

Attached is a file of doctest statistics (counts of example failures, exceptions, and successes) for almost every file in the Doc directory when running the doctests with vanilla doctest.

I did this to get a sense of which files it would be easiest to get into a "passing" state, and to see how many files actually have doctest examples.

It was actually non-trivial to get fine-grained test result data like this because doctest only exposes the ability to create a unittest.TestCase for each file (i.e. an entire file either registers as a success or failure).  >From the API, you can't get results down to the level of individual doctest examples.

See also issue 15938 that I recently created which would be a small step in this direction (getting a total example count independent of successes and failures).

Added file: http://bugs.python.org/file27187/doctest-stats-1.txt