[docs] python docs quick search improvement

David Hoese dhoese at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 15:56:26 CEST 2012

Hi,

I started a thread on python-list the other day, you can find the thread
here:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2012-September/629900.html

The general question is: Is there something that can be done to improve
the results of the quick search on the python documentation website?

As an example if you search for 'print' in the python docs quick search
the print statement isn't in the results and the print function isn't in
the top 20 results.  Some replies on the thread suggested that everyone
should just use a popular search engine, optionally specifying to only
search the docs site.  Others also suggested the python docs site use a
Google search box, but also that this can cost a lot of money.  I'm not
very familiar with including search in a site, so I can't offer much
more than the thread I've started.

Thanks,
Dave