[docs] French translation of the documentation

Claire Revillet grenoya at zarb.org
Fri Sep 14 16:06:11 CEST 2012

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this mailing-list, so i'll present myself before asking my
questions.

My name is Claire and i'm a member of the francophone association for
the promotion of Python (afpy). As part of my activity in afpy, i'm
working on the translation in french of parts of docs.python.org .

Maybe it's not the good place to ask, but i could not find another
"maintained" place for them:

For now, i'm translating on pootle.python.org. I'm wondering if the site
is actually maintained and more precisly if the english sources are
up-to-date. What makes me wonder is this email:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/doc-sig/2011-December/003932.html
but the doc-sig ML seems dead :/

My other point is: this pootle is a great idea that permit us to
translate. good! but where is going our work ? Was there something
envisaged to host the translated pages when the pootle was created ?
For what I can see, nothing is planed to put them on the official
website (i could find no language selection widget).
The hosting problem could be solve by hosting the translated pages on
the afpy website (which makes sense as providing french documentation is
part of our role), but maybe a protocole has been prepared for the
extraction from pootle and rebuilding the translated docs ? We have
extracted the .po files, but we don't know what to do with them.

If someone has any idea/hint for us, you're welcome :)

And thank you for the great job you're doing on the english documentation.

Claire Revillet