[docs] [issue16057] Subclasses of JSONEncoder should not be insturcted to call JSONEncoder.decode

Justin Lebar report at bugs.python.org
Fri Sep 28 22:23:02 CEST 2012

Justin Lebar added the comment:

Ah, I see.  The examples do what you think they should do, but not for the reason you think they should do it -- the JSON encoding logic calls the encoder's encode() method before calling its default() method.

I still think the examples could be improved, perhaps by adding a comment to the effect of

  # Raises a TypeError.

before the call to JSONEncoder.default().  Explicit is better than implicit, after all.  :)

Thanks for looking at this.