[docs] Bring Doc/make.bat as close to Doc/Makefile as possible (issue 17386)

zachary.ware at gmail.com zachary.ware at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 19:23:38 CEST 2013

Thanks for the comments, Ezio.

http://bugs.python.org/review/17386/diff/7596/Doc/README.txt
File Doc/README.txt (right):

http://bugs.python.org/review/17386/diff/7596/Doc/README.txt#newcode43
Doc/README.txt:43: make html "PYTHON=python"
On 2013/04/10 17:38:23, ezio.melotti wrote:
> Does "make html" work without specifying "PYTHON=python" (assuming
that "python"
> is a recognised command)?

Yes, that's a large part of the point of the patch to Doc/make.bat,
actually :)

> If "python" is not a recognised command, I guess that
> `make html "PYTHON=C:\Python27\python.exe"` can be used instead.  Is
the syntax
> correct?  Maybe this could be added too here.

Exactly.  And yes, that syntax is correct, and that is a much better
example.  Next version of the patch will change to `make html
"PYTHON=C:\Python27\python.exe"`

http://bugs.python.org/review/17386/diff/7596/Doc/README.txt#newcode90
Doc/README.txt:90: A "make update" cleans up all builds and updates the
Subversion checkouts of
On 2013/04/10 17:38:23, ezio.melotti wrote:
> Why this is not in the list?

Just because it wasn't before.  I'm fine with adding it to the list.

> Also on Linux there's "make htmlview", not sure if it's available on
Windows too
> though.

Not yet :).  'htmlview' is undocumented even in the Makefile help
message, though (that's why it's not present in the make.bat patch yet);
next version of the patch will add 'htmlview' on Windows, document it in
Makefile, and add it and any other missing targets to README.txt
('clean', for example).

http://bugs.python.org/review/17386/diff/7596/Doc/README.txt#newcode117
Doc/README.txt:117: svn co
http://svn.python.org/projects/external/Pygments-1.5dev-20120930/pygments
tools/pygments
On 2013/04/10 17:38:23, ezio.melotti wrote:
> Any reason why a dev version is suggested?  Is this the version we are
currently
> using?

Yep, that's what's listed in Makefile and make.bat currently.

http://bugs.python.org/review/17386/diff/7596/Doc/make.bat
File Doc/make.bat (right):

http://bugs.python.org/review/17386/diff/7596/Doc/make.bat#newcode277
Doc/make.bat:277: echo positives, append that file to
tools\sphinxext\susp-ignored.csv.
On 2013/04/10 17:38:23, ezio.melotti wrote:
> On Linux if suspicious markup is found, the build gives an error and
this
> message is not printed (see http://bugs.python.org/issue15759).  Does
this work
> here? (You could add a few  ` or : in an rst file to make the
suspicious builder
> suspicious.)

Yes, this message always prints.  Actually, that's probably a bug; it
will print even if Sphinx never even ran, like say if PYTHON isn't a
valid command.  I can fix that either by adding an ERRORLEVEL check to
each completion method, or just make the completion messages more fuzzy
('should be' not 'is', etc).

http://bugs.python.org/review/17386/